At it again... 3D printing for my quad.
Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:35 AM
Story: I originally mounted my camera with hot glue smothered ALL OVER! Yes, hot glue....FPV camera...What could go wrong! Well, i want to make things a bit better. I dont crash often, and reality is the part was only 12 bucks to print at shapeways as a test. This simply lays on top of the HT-FPV top-plate. 1mm thick mounting base, 4 points of screw-contact. Since flat is flat, 1MM is plenty. Shapeways strong/flexible plastic is durable, not brittle. In the event of a crash, i honestly dont see it breaking. on the edge of my CT lobes, its very thin. I can take my nail, and press into it, see a mark, that slowly springs back. Flexibility. Now the thicker 1mm stuff, tough to bend. So. I made 5mm diameter bars all around the camera, and back frame. This should be enough for a moderate crash, to 'bumper' the camera. Reality, the bars on the back are there to stop vibration. Hot glue did the job (no vibration) but only contact was the bottom. This, holds in the board at all sides.
Now with tolerances, what SHOULD happen is the board shouldn't glide in place. It should require a LITTLE bit of pressure, so its snug and happy.
As for the lens ring ... well, that can get cut off if its pointless. Thought why not experiment. It extends 2mm pass the lens. The goal of it (if its not in the video), was so in the event of a crash (or just getting your lens too close to the ground) something to take MOST the impact, before hitting the glass. Probably useless / stupid idea...but why not.
So. Wish me luck! Shapeways estimates ship by august 15 at the latest, plus i need to still send in my broken camera and get it replaced. The temp-replacement i got lacks the extended frame (vital for this jig to work). the 38mm, instead of the 32mm. that gives me 6mm of blank flat PCB with no components to run into. 5mm diameter pipes, 2.5mm of contact on PCB.
Your thoughts? The main point of the jig was to: Provide a camera holder which will securely mount the camera, keep vibrations down, and give SOME hope for protection if i ever crash.
Now that its 2:34 AM and i re-consider I work at 7AM and need to wake up at 6:30AM...Time for bed. Once I get started on an idea, I have a bad want to finish it. I already made the order after triple-checking dimensions
Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:29 PM
So. No camera yet, replacement is in the mail. With a board I have, it slides in fairly good, requires a little push but thats the goal, snug fit so it won't move around
Very pleased with the print, can't wait to get the new camera board and see how it handles! I fly carefully so I don't intend to crash to test how strong it really is. I don't dare bend the thin plate to see how strong it is, it's should flex fully over, as it's not a brittle plastic.
I need a new red plate...smothered in hot glue and it's cracked and modified...this build requires no modding...
Edited by KillaX, 16 August 2012 - 09:30 PM.
Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:26 PM
This is "Black, Strong & Flexible" from Shapeways, right? The material is nylon, so yes - it's pretty tough stuff - it will bend a lot before it breaks.From the look of the design, gluing it to the carrier plate would be better than screws - at 1mm thickness you wouldn't be supplementing its stiffness with only a few screws - whereas glue covering a larger area would make it (that part of it, at least) practically indestructible.
A trick you can play with this stuff - because of the way it is printed it is effectively porous - if you apply a low-viscosity CA glue to the surface it will actually soak in. So you can stiffen/strengthen/repair the entire structure or just critical parts of it. (As they say: test first in an area that doesn't show )
Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:54 AM
Anyways....So i cheaply hot glued a bar back on top just for something. Looked weird being open. That all said, testing will come once i get the new top plate in red from hoverthings. Need to do some re-designing of the thing so the next print (if i ever break it) will be perfect
So yeah. Glue easily comes off, just a temp-fix for now. Was a first run so. Minor things to tweak for next