#1 ov3rmind

ov3rmind

Key Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationMillburn, NJ

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

I present the ov3rquad. Open Source FPV Frame for all. Inspired by numerous DJI arm-based conversion kits. Made possible with tremendous real-world help and experience from johnnycat500.

Attached File  ov3rquad render.jpg   63.2KB   5513 downloadsAttached File  P8251633-002.JPG   71.23KB   6171 downloadsAttached File  P8241556-001.JPG   115.13KB   6248 downloadsAttached File  P8241514.JPG   191.6KB   5531 downloads

Features: Fully symmetrical (566mm diagonal mtm). Prop-free video on widest GoPro setting - up to 10inch props. Simple, but sturdy design. Dirt cheap arm replacement. ov3rlens compatible. Can be cut on your own out of Lexan (requires elbow grease) or milled from G10 by your favorite CNC "friend" :)

Material Requirements:
G10/FR4 .0625 thickness assumed in DXF.
DJI 450/550 Arms (clone arms are not encouraged due to poor mold and built-in torsion defect)
Standoffs cut to size of DJI arms (~37mm)
Jello-Killer
: My personal holy grail of vibration elimination. Apply on ALL surfaces in contact with gopro, then strap down tight.

Feel free to post your own design variations for everyone's benefit -- just please be sure to fully test before posting your own variant. Two weeks of testing went into initial prototype.

Disclaimer: For personal use only. Make for yourself, make for your friends. No distribution or use of designs or variants with intent to sell. Thank you.

Again, tremendous thanks to johnnycat500, who was generous enough to lend his CNC time and work out important kinks out of the final prototype.

8.28.12 edit: posted DXF files.
Attached File  ov3rquad fpv final 8.28.12 (inches & mm).zip   51.5KB   1689 downloads

1.8.12 edit: updated DXF files for latest JC edition. Extended battery tray, support for gopro mount in case, plus more.
Attached File  ov3rquad jc version final 1-7-2013.zip   44.22KB   1393 downloads

Notes about ov3rquad final and ov3rquad jc version final dxf files.

The arm alignment holes:
It is very critical that these holes do not get moved. If modifying / improving the file, I would suggest before starting that you copy and paste the top and bottom plates and set aside. After all changes are made overlay the original top and bottom plates over your modified ones to check arm hole alignment.

Material thickness and cutter size :
Both .0625

Sides of the frames:
The slots and side tabs are tight. The slots for the sides to fit in are .012 bigger than the lenght and thickness of the tabs. I use a small flat file to take off the radius of the inside corners of the sides and slots.

Standoff hole size:
These holes fit 4-40 or 3mm screws

Enjoy your ov3rquad.

#2 ov3rmind

ov3rmind

Key Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationMillburn, NJ

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

Reserved for additional info & videos...

#3 scphoto

scphoto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationNorthern NJ USA

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:26 AM

good work on this Mike - cant wait to get mine!

particularly like the overlens attachment method and mount. Hey is that fpv camera mount capable of holding my porker of an fpv camera without 10" props hitting?

whats the weight of the frame? AUW?

Nice if it was lightweight and stiff. Are those sideframe pieces in there with tabs top and bottom?

#4 eFinger

eFinger

Team Dropbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:28 AM

Great-looking frame ov3rmind (and a great name BTW) Looking forward to making one of these.

My Vimeo Channel

This space now for rent: Enquire within.

#5 johnnycat500

johnnycat500

Team Flying Pig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1442 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

I have really enjoyed working with Mike on his beautifully designed fpv quad. IMO it is one of the nicest fpv designs out there. Here is my version " AMERICA " Unfortunately I won't be able to finish this up for it's maiden until sunday afternoon. I still have to make the ov3rlens for it. Can;t wait to fly it!

@ Mike Are you using o-rings to hold the ov3rlens on.

Attached Files

Edited by johnnycat500, 27 August 2012 - 03:23 AM.

#6 jbkappirossi

jbkappirossi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

Nice frame, but what's the weight of if, looks heavy?

#7 johnnycat500

johnnycat500

Team Flying Pig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1442 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

Nice frame, but what's the weight of if, looks heavy?

My ventilated version is 450g for complete frame with arms.I could nock off 28g by using nylon standoff's. I think Mike's was 25g more.Using these arms your at 216g before you even start designing the frame. But don't let the weight fool you. Ask any of the QAV 500 pilots. They love how it flies. :)

#8 jbkappirossi

jbkappirossi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

My ventilated version is 450g for complete frame with arms.I could nock off 28g by using nylon standoff's. I think Mike's was 25g more.Using these arms your at 216g before you even start designing the frame. But don't let the weight fool you. Ask any of the QAV 500 pilots. They love how it flies. :)

yeah i thought it would be around that number, about the same as the TBS discovery.

No, i don't get fooled by that, people have to love them, becasue they payed $200 bucks for it. I saw the build from Enthlapy and it weight 537gram.
Now you can't tell me that that is light?

I always try to make a frame as light as possible, because there are already so much frames out there that are pretty good, so to distinguish yourself from the other frames is always try and make it lighter. ;)

#9 johnnycat500

johnnycat500

Team Flying Pig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1442 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

yeah i thought it would be around that number, about the same as the TBS discovery.

No, i don't get fooled by that, people have to love them, becasue they payed $200 bucks for it. I saw the build from Enthlapy and it weight 537gram.
Now you can't tell me that that is light?

I always try to make a frame as light as possible, because there are already so much frames out there that are pretty good, so to distinguish yourself from the other frames is always try and make it lighter. ;)

I agree :) Light is good. My lightest frame I have built was 136g all wood 500 spider. It is just personal preference. My orange crate model is 330g which is pretty good for a 550 size frame,but it uses wood booms. For me, I like the heavier frames. Very smooth.

#10 ov3rmind

ov3rmind

Key Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationMillburn, NJ

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

I think my frame, without any of the cutouts is just around 450grams with arms and standoffs. I use a mix of 4 aluminum and 2 nylon. There's no need for standoffs for every hole. Those are there in case someone decides not to use the sidewalls and go with standoffs only, and even then not all are required.

Steve, your FPV cam should fit, but I'm not sure about that big housing. The cutout is meant dual-purpose for pixim seawolf and Sony superhad -- 2 of the standard hole sapacings. Camera should sit behind the g10 plate, so there's really no need for a separate housing.

My quad fully loaded with gopro and 4s 3000mah lipo is right around 1400grams. Not a micro-quad, but it punches out like an express elevator.

Whole idea here was to make something super cheap and simple. I'm done paying over $50 for frames :)

#11 johnnycat500

johnnycat500

Team Flying Pig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1442 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

Mike do you have any video yet? would love to see it fly.

#12 ov3rmind

ov3rmind

Key Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationMillburn, NJ

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

Have some but need to tune the quad a bit more. As of now no Jello, but small oscillations -- need to fix my feed forward or lower kp first. Wish there was a way to get rid of high freq oscillations without lowering Kp

#13 Filibuster

Filibuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

I'll give it a try. Looking forward to DXF files.
Callsign: K6UL UAP-1 Warthox

#14 ov3rmind

ov3rmind

Key Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationMillburn, NJ

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'll give it a try. Looking forward to DXF files.

Thanks, and welcome to OP forums. You'll find many nice selfless folk here willing to help.

#15 TempleClause

TempleClause

Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Looks great! In my opinion it looks better than the QAV500 ;)
Looking forward to some videos! :)

#16 TooSlow2Care

TooSlow2Care

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNot High Enough

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

nice Mike! looks great!

Brian
There is only one God, the God of Crash. And what do we say to the God of Crash? - Not Today -

#17 ov3rmind

ov3rmind

Key Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationMillburn, NJ

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

Thanks guys! It's not meant to compete with QAV-500 or TBS discovery. Both of those frames are excellent in their own ways with other features. This is out here as a "good enough" alternative with a sporty FPV angle to it. I wanted an FPV variation of my fully symmetrical super sporty (yet expensive to repair) VC-450 -- that isn't a pain to tune.

Still requires you to build a power distro (unlike TBS idea) and has no extra plates for clean/dirty concept (unlike QAV 500). However, with only 2 plates and rubber foam gopro isolation it should give you a sporty alternative with Jello-free video.

Videos coming soon. It's dark and stormy out here, so flying now won't capture that jello-free video effect in bright sunlight.

DXF status: Johnnycat500 is going to transfer his real-world (CNC ready) arm hole spacing onto the original model, and cut the last prototype. Once that works perfectly, DXFs will be made available. (I just don't want to post anything yet and have someone cut a set of plates that aren't 100% precise -- apparently theoretical measurements and DJI arm/CNC tolerances are slightly different)

#18 ov3rmind

ov3rmind

Key Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationMillburn, NJ

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

@ Mike Are you using o-rings to hold the ov3rlens on.

John, the rubber spacer is something that comes part of the gopro lens replacement kit with each of the lenses. It's also part of the original gopro case. See ov3rlens: http://forums.openpi...__hl__ ov3rlens

#19 IronMan

IronMan

revolution . tic .tock ...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

Things get better and better, great work :)
Creating a complex solution is easy, creating an elegantly simple one, rarely is.

#20 eyesonsky

eyesonsky

FPV addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1475 posts
  • LocationPreverenges

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

Nice work mate, ov3rcool as always ;)

Joel
@youtube. . . . QuadH 470. . . . QuadH 310. . . . Team Red Kite
Discontinued : QuadX 1, QuadX 2, mini QuadH