Photo

which sunnysky motors for tbs discovery?

sunnysky 2212 2216 2214 980kv

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 helizrnew2me

helizrnew2me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

if you were going to buy sunnysky motors for a tbs discovery which would you chose and why?

theres been alot of good talk about these motors and i want some ,but which ones?

keep in mind prop size as we dont wanna see them in  videos so i am thinking a max of 10 inch prop.

i would like the option of 3s and 4s lipo.

freddying.jpg

i crashed my quad ,oh my god!!!!

#2 CrispyCargo

CrispyCargo

a Wild Pilot™

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

I was quite pleased with the 2216 800kV motors and 10" Graupners. I also crashed recently and destroyed all of them, so I changed to RCTimer HP 2217 930kV motors and 9" Graupners. Another great combo! You'll definitely save some dough going with the RCTimers (they come from the same factory as the sunny skys)

Get some COLORARMS for your DJI Flamewheel, TBS Dicovery, or Ov3rQuad here!

Posted Image

#3 neBstress

neBstress

OP's resident Monkey

• Administrators
  • 7425 posts
  • LocationSouth West

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

Either 800Kv or 900Kv & I wouldn't go bigger than 9" props on the Disco.

I use the 900Kv MT2216-11 T-motors with 9" Graupners on my Disco.

#4 neBstress

neBstress

OP's resident Monkey

• Administrators
  • 7425 posts
  • LocationSouth West

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

I was quite pleased with the 2216 800kV motors and 10" Graupners. I also crashed recently and destroyed all of them, so I changed to RCTimer HP 2217 930kV motors and 9" Graupners. Another great combo! You'll definitely save some dough going with the RCTimers (they come from the same factory as the sunny skys)

NO! the RCTimer motors have nothing to do with SunnySky motors & are NOT made in the same factory, they just look similar.

#5 helizrnew2me

helizrnew2me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

NO! the RCTimer motors have nothing to do with SunnySky motors & are NOT made in the same factory, they just look similar.

oh yeah? good to know .i like my rctimers too ,smooth runners compared to these junk ntm`s i got .but this thread is about sunnysky`s .i hear good things

freddying.jpg

#6 CrispyCargo

CrispyCargo

a Wild Pilot™

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Oh! Ok, I'm sorry then, I read that they were, and they are indistinguishable from my sunnyskys - other than the fact they are blue ;-)

And the ones I got are very good quality, same quality as the sunnyskys. But if try are not from the same factory, I'm fine with that. They are still a great motor.

Get some COLORARMS for your DJI Flamewheel, TBS Dicovery, or Ov3rQuad here!

Posted Image

#7 neBstress

neBstress

OP's resident Monkey

• Administrators
  • 7425 posts
  • LocationSouth West

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Yep even the SunnySky engineer thought they looked very similar but pointed out a few differences.

The 900Kv SunnySky 2216-11 from Vocanlo but at that price you would be better off getting the MT2216/11 T-motors!

#8 hadriez

hadriez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

on my disco setup i get 15mins slowmo flight and down to 8-10 mins aggresive flying with the below setup powered by 4S 3300mah. buzzer set to 3.6v - after landing, there's 3.8v left. AUW is below 1.6kg. you could check one of my video in youtube to see the climb rate with these baby

sunnysky 2212-13 kv980

8045 CF props or 9" graupners

#9 helizrnew2me

helizrnew2me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

on my disco setup i get 15mins slowmo flight and down to 8-10 mins aggresive flying with the below setup powered by 4S 3300mah. buzzer set to 3.6v - after landing, there's 3.8v left. AUW is below 1.6kg. you could check one of my video in youtube to see the climb rate with these baby

sunnysky 2212-13 kv980

that was pretty impressive lift.

freddying.jpg

#10 Spongebob007

Spongebob007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

Can I ask what lipos are you using aim using the 900kv with 9.5 props and I have a fatshark can I use s3 lipos so I can power my fat shark as well .?

#11 Traveller

Traveller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationLeiden, Netherlands

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

sunnysky 2212-13 kv980

Hey that sounds really good, but after looking at the specs on foxtech, those motors are rated for 3s.... how are they handeling 4s??? I'm really interested because i to am looking to upgrade my motors as helizrnew2me.

Regards

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." :D

#12 hadriez

hadriez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

Hey that sounds really good, but after looking at the specs on foxtech, those motors are rated for 3s.... how are they handeling 4s??? I'm really interested because i to am looking to upgrade my motors as helizrnew2me.

Regards

the manufactures are just being a little bit vigilant with the specs i suppose. works just fine with 4s. I also use this motor on my iconic-x frame. doesn't even get hot after abusived for 8-9 mins. 4s with 9 inch graupner (or 8inch CF) props really rocks  ;)

#13 PhilMac

PhilMac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Can I ask what lipos are you using aim using the 900kv with 9.5 props and I have a fatshark can I use s3 lipos so I can power my fat shark as well .?

I don't have Fatshark gear (apart from some antennas, but if you are talking about their cameras, I believe they are 5volt. A 3S lipo is 11.1V which will burn your camera.

Someone here might be able to help better though. Be careful, and welcome to OP. :)