#1 I3ooI3oo

I3ooI3oo

-InsertTitle -

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:55 AM

So I got a GoPro at the office Christmas party.  Being one that has already seen the better part of youth, and will not be doing the extreme sports thing I figured it was time to get a new hobby.  I grew up with RC cars, Sail boats, and planes and gliders.  So why not pick back up with the RC world with a quad.

Being a long time IT professional I found the open pilot community something I can get into.   

So the following is a list of the parts I plan on getting some are already ordered others are will be ordered in the next day or so.

Version 1

CC3D
Glass Fiber Quadcopter Frame 450mm - Integrated PCB
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 2826-980kv Brushless Outrunner Motor          
Afro ESC 20Amp Multi-rotor Motor Speed Controller                    
10 x 4.5 SF Props 
Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter without Module
FrSky XJT 16ch Radio Transmitter Module
FrSky D8R-XP 8ch telemetry receiver
Turnigy 3300mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack 
Turnigy 9XR Safety Protected 11.1v (3s) 2200mAh 1.5C Transmitter Pack

Anything I need to think about that I am missing.  I will add voltage warning other sensors in time, I need to learn to fly first.

I3ooI3oo

“Man's maturity: to have regained the seriousness that he had as a child at play.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche

#2 roddersNZ

roddersNZ

mmmmmm...!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:58 AM

Welcome to OP.

So I got a GoPro at the office Christmas party.  

Stuff like that NEVER happens to me!

#3 I3ooI3oo

I3ooI3oo

-InsertTitle -

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:06 AM

I've gotten really lucky the last few years. A PS3 started the winning streak (actaully won a wii and traded it to the person that won the PS3), the following year a friend won a 60' Sharp tv and trade me for IT support.  I won a 46' samsung tv last year. and this year the GoPro silver.  The other employee swear I rig the lottery.

“Man's maturity: to have regained the seriousness that he had as a child at play.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche

#4 Terrier

Terrier

Fly Me a River

• Administrators
  • 6286 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:48 AM

Damn...  must be a nice place to work...   :)

Welcome to OP!  :)   Looks like you've done some pretty thorough research.  

The only thing I see missing is battery connectors and some wire to connect the ESCs to the battery.  Also, a voltage sensor for the battery isn't an advanced thing.  Bery bery basic.  ;)  You certainly don't want to over-discharge your batteries, and that little voltage alarm will let you know when to stop.  If it's adjustable, don't go past 3.5v per cell at the very least.

#5 I3ooI3oo

I3ooI3oo

-InsertTitle -

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:59 AM

The frame has a power distribution pcb built in. Planning on soldering the ESCs to the board and the motors to the ESCs, I will grab a voltage alarm and connectors for the battery to the Power distribution board.

― Friedrich Nietzsche

#6 Terrier

Terrier

Fly Me a River

• Administrators
  • 6286 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:08 AM

No need to go any bigger than 14ga on the wire....

#7 Scoot3r

Scoot3r

FPV Pilot in Training

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationMississauga, ON

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:11 AM

If you're anything like me - another 10 or 20 props. - Maybe some way to mount that sweet "right-priced" GoPro. ;)

Congrats (& Welcome.) :)

Blackout+Logo-2s.gifw/ Acro Naze32, Afro 12A ESC's, MN1806 Motors, 600TVL FPV Camera & Turnigy 9XR
                                                                   My YouTube  «---------»  My Vimeo

#8 I3ooI3oo

I3ooI3oo

-InsertTitle -

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:39 AM

I did order 3 full sets of props to start off with, i figure before I go through all of them I bet i break something  else,   I'm intentionally not getting a mount for the go pro till i can fly good enough to not worry about flying camera first into something.  In the next version I will add FPV and will not move in that direction till i can fly LOS fairly well.  The 2 version will be a custom frame made from non-populated PCB board to fit my geek life. with a spinning optic LED laser.  I work for  a laser machine  manufacturer so I hace access to some really cool things, CNCs, Mills, Lathes, Sheers, and a multimillion dollar laser lab.

www.cmslaser.com 

Thanks for all the advice and help.  It won't be to long before I can help others.

― Friedrich Nietzsche

#9 I3ooI3oo

I3ooI3oo

-InsertTitle -

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:50 AM

No need to go any bigger than 14ga on the wire....

Got some cool 16ga and 22ga aircraft wire left overs from gulfstream's wire marker machine acceptance

― Friedrich Nietzsche

#10 apott69

apott69

Advanced Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:54 AM

How about sunny sky's instead of the HK motors?

Fastest little pot

#11 I3ooI3oo

I3ooI3oo

-InsertTitle -

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:12 AM

After reading for the weekend, I would order sunnyskys but they will have to come in the next revision as I have already ordered the Turnigy ones.

― Friedrich Nietzsche

#12 tothehilt

tothehilt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationZFG

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:35 AM

Extra arms, I broke a bunch in the beginning
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

YouTube Channel

#13 Movie Guy

Movie Guy

Home, sweet home.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1035 posts
  • LocationDelta, British Columbia

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:01 AM

So I got a GoPro at the office Christmas party.  Being one that has already seen the better part of youth, and will not be doing the extreme sports thing I figured it was time to get a new hobby.  I grew up with RC cars, Sail boats, and planes and gliders.  So why not pick back up with the RC world with a quad.

Being a long time IT professional I found the open pilot community something I can get into.   

So the following is a list of the parts I plan on getting some are already ordered others are will be ordered in the next day or so.

Version 1

CC3D
Glass Fiber Quadcopter Frame 450mm - Integrated PCB
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 2826-980kv Brushless Outrunner Motor          
Afro ESC 20Amp Multi-rotor Motor Speed Controller                    
10 x 4.5 SF Props 
Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter without Module
FrSky XJT 16ch Radio Transmitter Module
FrSky D8R-XP 8ch telemetry receiver
Turnigy 3300mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack 
Turnigy 9XR Safety Protected 11.1v (3s) 2200mAh 1.5C Transmitter Pack

Anything I need to think about that I am missing.  I will add voltage warning other sensors in time, I need to learn to fly first.

I3ooI3oo

Welcome to the OP forums.

Is that a Turnigy 9X or 9XR?  The "XR" model will allow that XJT Tx module to plug straight in.  Not totally sure because I own the 9XR, the straight "X" model might require some work in the form of opening up the radio and soldering.  If you have not already pressed the "Buy" button, you might even consider waiting for a FrSky Taranis.  Kind of a hot, hard to get item at this point but it has a couple of advantages plus by the time you add in Tx modules and receivers, it is close to the same price for a better built unit.

I would also be tempted to jump up to a 30 or 40 C flight battery.  A simple charger like the accucel 6 charger works fine even if you jump up to 4 cells in the future.  

#14 I3ooI3oo

I3ooI3oo

-InsertTitle -

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

Welcome to the OP forums.

Is that a Turnigy 9X or 9XR?  The "XR" model will allow that XJT Tx module to plug straight in.  Not totally sure because I own the 9XR, the straight "X" model might require some work in the form of opening up the radio and soldering.  If you have not already pressed the "Buy" button, you might even consider waiting for a FrSky Taranis.  Kind of a hot, hard to get item at this point but it has a couple of advantages plus by the time you add in Tx modules and receivers, it is close to the same price for a better built unit.

I would also be tempted to jump up to a 30 or 40 C flight battery.  A simple charger like the accucel 6 charger works fine even if you jump up to 4 cells in the future.  

I looked at the FrSky Taranis however as i could not find any in stock anywhere on the internet I figured that I could upgrade to it in the future.  From what I have read the XJT should plug into the 9X fine though if you want to have the telemetry work you need to modify the radio with a bit of soldering.  I think i will double check and make sure before ordering them today.  It's weird how HK sells the 9X without a module and they sell receivers alone but you can't find a TX module without the radio.  There are a few parts that were not my first choices however being quite impatience I did not want to wait till thing got restocked or for it to ship from china.

As for the charger I ordered that Accuel 6 charger, i just didn't post it in the list of parts. 

Thanks again i will double check the compatibility of the XJT and the 9X.

― Friedrich Nietzsche

#15 neBstress

neBstress

OP's resident Monkey

• Administrators
  • 7638 posts
  • LocationSouth West

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

The XJT module will fit the 9x, the 9x has a JR module bay same as the 9XR

#16 ehitaja

ehitaja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationTallinn

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

I looked at the FrSky Taranis however as i could not find any in stock anywhere on the internet I figured that I could upgrade to it in the future. From what I have read the XJT should plug into the 9X fine though if you want to have the telemetry work you need to modify the radio with a bit of soldering. I think i will double check and make sure before ordering them today. It's weird how HK sells the 9X without a module and they sell receivers alone but you can't find a TX module without the radio. There are a few parts that were not my first choices however being quite impatience I did not want to wait till thing got restocked or for it to ship from china.

As for the charger I ordered that Accuel 6 charger, i just didn't post it in the list of parts.

Thanks again i will double check the compatibility of the XJT and the 9X.

Taranis in stock http://www.himodel.c...pen_source.html

#17 I3ooI3oo

I3ooI3oo

-InsertTitle -

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

Thanks, still think i will wait as it will cost about 50+ more plus would have to ship from China and I am not very patience and am not sure how long it would take to get here.

― Friedrich Nietzsche

#18 I3ooI3oo

I3ooI3oo

-InsertTitle -

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

Well I've never like documenting anything, main cause I remember doing it and writing about it slows me down.  But since I am waiting on the rest of the parts figured I would post how far I got today.20140102_1954131_zps9a375f21.jpg

I'm pretty sure I got it right so far.  Lucky that one vendor is here in Florida, no so lucky that all the other parts are coming from the other side of the country.

Edited by I3ooI3oo, 03 January 2014 - 02:35 AM.

― Friedrich Nietzsche

#19 apott69

apott69

Advanced Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:55 AM

haha, We have to get everything from the US and China! Other side of the country sound's great!

Fastest little pot

#20 I3ooI3oo

I3ooI3oo

-InsertTitle -

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:06 AM

On the vehicle page it show the motor 1 spinning Clockwise and motor 2 CW with 3 going C and 4 CW. Is there any reason I can't have all the motor reversed?  CW,C,CW,C or would yaw be backwards?

― Friedrich Nietzsche