#1 PT_Dreamer

PT_Dreamer

GCS Core Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1979 posts
  • LocationCaparica, Portugal

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:02 PM

Here is a small app and source to help configure those cheap bluetooth modules that most of the guys use.
One nice feature is that it tries to find the module if you don't know the port or the speed its in.
The executable needs some external libs, but should work if its run from the GCS executable folder.
José

edit:Sorry I forgot the license files, that's why I deleted the files from this post, I will put them back later

Attached Files

Life is just a game, but atleast the graphics are awesome!

#2 noxus

noxus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:30 PM

Great José!
That will make the bluetooth configuration for a lot of people easier.
Maybe we should look at a proper place in the wiki to link to the software...
(or distribute it in some other way together with the GCS although I don't think it is wise to distribute just any tool together with the GCS)

#3 Berkely

Berkely

Core Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:03 PM

Here is a small app and source to help configure those cheap bluetooth modules that most of the guys use.
One nice feature is that it tries to find the module if you don't know the port or the speed its in.
The executable needs some external libs, but should work if its run from the GCS executable folder.

José

Nice :)

Works like a charm!

Posted Image

I run it from the GCS directory, I think that's what most people would do. I'll add it to the wiki page.

#4 3rdeyepro

3rdeyepro

Graphics Lead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:28 AM

Awesome tool. Just got my BT working tonight!
Hovership - www.hovership.com

#5 Berkely

Berkely

Core Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

Awesome tool. Just got my BT working tonight!

Yes, very nice, simple & efficient!

I'll add it to the wiki page

Done.

#6 DrewF

DrewF

Key Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

Awesome, will give this a go later.

#7 DrewF

DrewF

Key Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:45 AM

Needed some DLL's for windows7 64bit, so you can run it from the bin folder directly or copy the dll's to the exe's folder:

qextserialport.dll C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\OpenPilot\bin
qtcore4.dll - C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\OpenPilot\bin
mingwm10.dll - C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\OpenPilot\bin
libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll - C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\OpenPilot\bin
QtGui4.dll - C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\OpenPilot\bin

#8 Guest_dankers_*

Guest_dankers_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:36 PM

To keep it simple, the exe for this should be copied in to the same folder as openpilotgcs.exe and then it will find it's dlls.

#9 David J

David J

Flying in ever decreasing circles...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationBentley, Suffolk

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

Loaded this up this morning, tried it and it didn't work, went and read the wiki and did it properly...

...and it worked!

Makes a fiddly job very easy. :)
This page intentionally left justified...

#10 Crash

Crash

Key Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

It works for me. Great little app. I just used the CC virtual comport firmware and this software to set my baud rate back to 57600. 115200 rate wasn't working well at all.

Thanks PT.

#11 Capello1986

Capello1986

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

So does any Bluetooth USB plug in work? Am not sure what one to get but defo need one as not much access to put the cable in and out of.

Am a newbeee to CC but been flying Tricopters for about 6 months now. :-)

#12 DrewF

DrewF

Key Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Sadly, not that i know of. More details here:

http://wiki.openpilo...tooth Telemetry

Not really to expensive on the scale of things in this hobby. It's a serial Bluetooth board.

You'll need a JST SH 4 wire lead for the BT connection to the board. http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10359
And you'll either need to use the custom firmware on the CC board to convert it to a usb to serial connection or a FTDI board to set it up(baud rate, etc..): http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716

I didn't try the custom firmware on the CC board so I'm not sure if it's a good option or not. Maybe someone can commit on that piece as I just bought the FTDI board.

#13 ov3rmind

ov3rmind

Key Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • LocationMillburn, NJ

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:31 AM

Thanks for the easy to use software! I used it even though I messed with Hyperterminal first -- something about old school hyper terminal makes it cool and nostalgic.

Either way, I wanted to post something that I ran into that prevented me from actually connecting to the serial port or even seeing it in the GCS dropdown after configuring bluetooth. I couldn't find this issue anywhere in the Wiki or in the forums, so I'll post it here just in case someone runs into it.

My bluetooth on Win XP laptop recognized the bluetooth modem just fine and connected to it with no problem, but I didn't see the serial port in the dropdown inside GCS. After poking around in "Bluetooth Devices" I clicked on Properties of the modem that I named "OpenPilot", and under the services tab I noticed that "Serial Port (SPP) 'Dev B'" was not checked. When I tried checking it, I got an error message saying "Access is Denied".

After googling, I found that the windows Bluetooth Support Service simply needs to be given elevated credentials and restarted in order to enable this.

Quick instructions on how to fix that:

Change Bluetooth Service Log On Credentials.

1. Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services.

2. Bluetooth Support Service > Properties.

3. Select the "Log On" tab

4. Instead of "This Account", select Log on as: "Local System Account" > PopUp > OK.

5. General Tab > Service Status : STOP then START.

You should then be able to enable Serial Port (SPP) 'Dev B' in bluetooth properties after which windows will install a driver and a new serial option will appear in GCS connections dropdown.

Hope this saves someone time one day. Btw, the bluetooth module I'm using is this one here from goodluckbuy: http://www.goodluckb...tate-pin-1.html

Edited by ov3rmind, 16 December 2011 - 05:33 AM.

#14 naiiawah

naiiawah

Core Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationNorthwest USA

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:25 AM

I didn't try the custom firmware on the CC board so I'm not sure if it's a good option or not. Maybe someone can commit on that piece as I just bought the FTDI board.

The serial firmware for the CC is a super simple route to go for configuring the BT boards. Just download the FW, connect up the board to the BT and plug in the USB and (at least on Linux), you just suddenly have a new serial device. Connect up the serial terminal of your choice and paste in the config commands.

Had my BT board configured in less than 5 minutes, most of which was waiting for the board reprogram to the Serial FW and board reprogram back to the normal CC FW to finish.

#15 CallDrop

CallDrop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

PT_Dreamer, Im on a Mac ... would you by any chance have a tool that will work on OSX? I bought the bluetooth module from BlueSkyRC.com and connected the four cables to the CC ... it lights up (red LED) and I am able to connect (red LED stops blinking and is stable). After that nothing else happens. Any advice? Thanks

#16 AlPackin

AlPackin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3513 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

PT_Dreamer, Im on a Mac ... would you by any chance have a tool that will work on OSX? I bought the bluetooth module from BlueSkyRC.com and connected the four cables to the CC ... it lights up (red LED) and I am able to connect (red LED stops blinking and is stable). After that nothing else happens. Any advice? Thanks

The board from BlueSky comes configured for 115,200 baud. Change the baudrate on your telemetry port in the GCS to match that. Other users here use that baudrate without a problem.

#17 timbocan

timbocan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

So if i have one hooked up and working on it's 9600 baud. what is the difference of setting up your craft, then disconecting from BT. and flying.
compaired to the faster telemetry speed. i can see that for telemetry comeing back from the craft while flying, the fasyter speed would be a benefit.
but for just setting up and tuneing . like with the USB cable connected. when you disconnect from the USB or BT connection , does the telemetry
speed still come into play. or it's only for communication between the board & GCS. :wacko:
This hobby brings up so many questions, the trick is being able to ask , in a way that can be comprehended. :D

#18 AlPackin

AlPackin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3513 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:25 PM

So if i have one hooked up and working on it's 9600 baud.

for just changing settings without having to use a cable 9600 is fine. I'm not really sure what a higher baud rate would buy you on the short range (30 feet?) BT anyway.

#19 timbocan

timbocan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

for just changing settings without having to use a cable 9600 is fine. I'm not really sure what a higher baud rate would buy you on the short range (30 feet?) BT anyway.

Thanks for reply ; was just curious.
i can see for way point settings , and haveing the telemetry comeing back to the computer . from longer distances, the faster communication would be better.
but like you said; the short range of a CHEAP BT. the lower speed would be fine.
it might be helpfull to others, that don't fill up to changeing the baud rate of the BT just yet.

#20 CallDrop

CallDrop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:06 AM

Thanks a lot AlPackin! Did as you said and everything worked like a charm :D
Great stuff.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bt, bluetooth