16 replies to this topic

#1 flitelab

flitelab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

Anyone using the new GoPro Hero 2 for FPV with the live video out? Just wondering how it compares to the original Hero? Some say the original had some lag on the video out that could cause some delay for solid FPV use.

Be curious to hear any feedback on how they compare or the lag issue in general.
You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can't, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don't give up. - Chuck Yeager

Mark Langille
http://www.flitelab.com

#2 Shaun169

Shaun169

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

I had GoPro HD and now I have GoPro HD2 and using live out. I'm loving it. I've never experienced any lag at all (not even from the HD original). But I like GoPro HD2 much more, because its various settings, user friendly and you can have better picture quality with less light.

#3 astronutski

astronutski

Team ThongCopter - Founder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1097 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

But, you're still limited to the goggles resolution, right? Do they make any HD goggles?

I would love HD in the goggles, if no lag, but have the other fears about full card, dead battery, and other GoPro glitches.

Currently flying: QAV500 Quadcopter, OpenPilot Revolution, 4S setup with 10x4.5 props

astrotube

post-916-0-42742300-1329040600.gif

#4 Al Austria

Al Austria

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

I flew the original GoPro many times as my FPV cam and I never felt as if there was any lag, even compared to a "proper" FPV cam like the RMRC-540 I fly now. That said, it does not handle as well to light changes and low-light as well as my RMRC-540. The Hero 2 handles light a bit better, ought to work well as an FPV cam.

astronautski, our the GoPro's live video is just an analog video signal, not to mention pretty much all our video downlink equipment is also analog. HD downlink may come in time, but the tech is just not yet viable for FPV flying.

#5 c2po

c2po

Key Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

Do they make any HD goggles?

Actually they do.
But one thing they don't make yet - HD transmitters and receivers, at least for any reasonable price, compact size and without delay.

#6 Gundamnitpete

Gundamnitpete

has an Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1451 posts
  • LocationCindy Wity!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

the GP1 works fine, but the GP2 is better IMHO. the 720p@60fps mode gives you the less latency. at 1080, there is a slight delay but not much.

you can even do the 848x480 120FPS mode with live out :)

the better light handling of the GP2 makes it the better option, but both work fine.

http://youtube.com/teamwhitellama http://youtube.com/Gundamnitpete
Hl Eevryeno Meat bumy

(\__/)
(
='.'=)
(")_(")

Help Bunny by Copying and I don't think anyone even reads this anymore. Bunny is sad.

#7 eyesonsky

eyesonsky

FPV addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1483 posts
  • LocationPreverenges

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

Anyone using the new GoPro Hero 2 for FPV with the live video out? Just wondering how it compares to the original Hero? Some say the original had some lag on the video out that could cause some delay for solid FPV use.

The main difference is in low light like you can see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9bWlCbPxDE

Joel
@youtube. . . . QuadH 470. . . . QuadH 310. . . . Team Red Kite
Discontinued : QuadX 1, QuadX 2, mini QuadH

#8 juz

juz

woo hoo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

more reading from TWL's namesake....TBS.... http://team-blackshe...article/page:17

#9 Dave

Dave

crap.....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts
  • LocationMundelein IL

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:34 AM

I like those guys:-)

I think its funny how they mention using live out is ok for flying high but not for close in proximity flying. GundamnitPete must have missed that part lmao!!! Hes a nut with the close stuff all gp1 live out. Not sure how he does it. I think he sees the matrix ;-)

#10 juz

juz

woo hoo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

not human :blink:

#11 Marcin

Marcin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

Hi everyone. When i use GoPro HD2 for fpv and the gopro is in photomode ( sometimes want make pictures during flying... ) i have black screen in my fatshark googles. For example when i setup in gopro photomode for automatic pictures every 1,2 or 5 sec. i will have blackscreen every 1,2 or 5 sek in googles. Im not sure if its during making pictures or saving files on the SD card. This is annoying . I use 5.8ghz immersion system with 600mW TX. So i dont know if its in my camera only or everyone has same problem. Thanks. Sory for my bad english ;)

#12 Fredator

Fredator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

From what I've read, this is common and makes the GoPro pretty much unfit for FPV flights if you want to use photo mode. Somebody correct me if I am wrong :)
Flip 260 - OpenPilot CC3D, Cobra 2204 2300kv motors, 12A BLHeli ESCs, 3S setup with 5x4 props
Blackout's Mini H - , Naze32, Cobra 2204 2300kv motors, 12A BULL TEC SimonK ESCs, 3S setup with 5x4 props
FlyX-Mini H - OpenPilot CC3D, ZMR 1804 motors, 10A FlyFun ESCs, 3S setup with 5x3 props
N.E.X. NEO - OpenPilot Revolution, NTM 35-30 motors, 40A RCTimer ESCs, 4S setup with 9x4.5 props

post-916-0-42742300-1329040600.gif
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

#13 Marcin

Marcin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for answer.. Now i know this is not the problem with my gopro . I will try buy seperate camera for fpv. Thanks again.

#14 oosnoopy

oosnoopy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

Can you not tune the light settings on the gopro HD?

#15 Marcin

Marcin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

you mean switch off all lights on HD2 gopro ? .. yes its possible. switch off , switch on 2 or 4 lights.

#16 scottevil

scottevil

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

i've been using my gp2 for Fpv the last few times out, defiantly a different experience

#17 Salvo

Salvo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

I just started using my GP2 for FPV and it works great. I record at 720p 60frames per second like suggested and I fly low and fast without issues.