I'm pleased to announce my second mini multirotor frame, the Blackout Mini Spider Hex !
Using everything using I've learnt from building my Mini H Quad, it was time to step up the game and bring GoPro footage to Minis.
A big thank you to all of the testers and people I annoyed with questions
- Durable !
- Under 300mm MTM
- GoPro 1/2/3 carrier
- Designed for Open Pilot Revolution w/ integrated V8 GPS mount
- Under 1 kilogram (2 pounds)
- Integrated Anti-Vibration tray for GoPro & Battery
- More stability for better video
- Integrated CCD camera mount
- Good run times, 10minutes +
- Good performance (at least 2.5:1 power:weight ratio)
- Frame Weight: 180 grams
- Size: 290mm MTM
- Materials: 3k Twill Weave Carbon Fiber
- Fasteners: Stainless Steel & Black Polymaide GV
- Maximum Propeller: 5"
- Motor Mount: M2 12mm - 19mm
- Fight Controller Mount: 30.5mm x 30.5mm & 45mm x 45mm
- Board Camera Mount: 32mm x 32mm
- GoPro mount: Accepts LayerLen & Eyefly GoPro 3 Carbon Fiber (or G10) case
- Motors: Tiger MN1806 "Blackout 3S" 2300kv
- Prop: 5x3 2 Blade GemFan
- ESC: HK Blue Series 12amp – SimonK
- Battery: 3S 3300mah 35C/70C Nanotech
- FC: FPVManuals CC3D
- Receiver: FrSky D4R-II receiver
- FPV Camera: SONY Super HAD CCD 600TVL D-WDR DNR Board Camera w/ 2.8mm lens (115 degree FOV) - Security Camera 2000 CMQ1993X-L28
- HD Camera: GoPro 3 Black
- Video Transmitter: ImmersionRC 600mw Video Transmitter
- Antenna: ImmersionRC SpiroNet
- Voltage Regulator: Pololu 12V Step-Up Voltage Regulator U3V12F12
- OSD: Hobbyking E-OSD
Flight Time: 11-13minutes
Hover Time: 13 minutes +
Power:weight ratio: 2.8:1
This includes absolutely everything listed above. GoPro3 Black, Nano Tech 3300mah 3S, CCD camera, Revo, GPS, OP link antenna - no trickery here
Is it possible to run a small 2200mah with Mobius (or no HD camera) to reduce the AUW to 600-700grams. This results in a lot more power and run time, a perfect racer !
If I've missed anything, please ask
I drew a lot of inspiration from the [url=http://shrediquette.blogspot.com.au/p/shrediquette-mm6.html]Shrediquette MM6, this guy is a legend and has done all of this long before me !
Several prototypes were made and tested, the first being the "MK1". This Mini Spider Hex was 280mm MTM and used the MT1306 motors.
Originally designed with these motors, this hex was 2S powered and was about 700grams.
You may have seen this Hex in use from Vegetoast. Sadly the little MT1306 motors (even on 3S) didnt have the puff to deliver the experience we wanted.
While this was happening, the Tiger MN1806 "Blackout 3S" 2300kv were being developed. The project was put on hold until these motors were put into production.
There were a few design fubars, like not leaving enough room for the Revo Right Angle servo pins. Woaps !
The battery tray was too short and didnt entirely support the battery at it's correct CoG location
But, this is what prototypes are for !
The MK2's MTM was increased to 290mm MTM to better clear thrust obstructions.
A "tail" was added to the battery tray for vertically mounting large batteries. Vertically mounting helps remove the battery as an obstruction of thrust.
Arms were increased to 3mm, they are now fully compatible with my Mini H Quad V2 Arms. This helps reduce the amount of spare parts needed ! The middle and rear arms are slightly longer than the front arms, both are identical.
Most importantly, she had MN1806 motors added Now it was a rocket !
Most of the videos you have seen are of this prototype.
One slight bug remained. The hanging style bobbins. They held in during hard flying and removed all jello perfectly.... until a hard crash. This is when the pain started ! While nothing ever broke, sitting on the side line furiously pushing bobbins back in was an awful experience
Several methods of fastening were explored, but none were 100% successful. An upgrade to the more expensive Sandwich Style mounts was required.
Not being able to find the right type of mounts at an acceptable price, I had custom sandwich mounts made.
Instead of being the male/male mounts, they are male/female. The idea is nylon will be inserted into the female section. During a hard crash the nylon will break, saving the expensive sandwich mount.
This version bought together all of the development from the previous prototypes. Finally the frame is ready for prime time